2021年5月1日土曜日

【English Sermon】Just trust in God. April 18, 2021 Sermon Matthew 12:38-42

Just trust in God.

April 18, 2021 Sermon

Matthew 12:38-42


Humans are vulnerable to "signs". It is easy to cling to supernatural "signs". The more serious the illness or hardship, the more likely we are to become absorbed in "signs" (including miracles and healings). The Lord Jesus says "No" to such thinking. Some of the scribes and Pharisees said to the Lord Jesus, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from you" (Matthew 12:38). The Lord Jesus replies that He can give no other sign than the sign of the prophet Jonah. The fact that the same question and answer is written in Matthew 16:1 and following (Pharisees and Sadducees asking for a sign from heaven) shows that humans are prone to ask for "signs. This temptation always strikes us. I can't tell you how many times I have prayed for my wife to be healed of her illness. However, God did not hear my prayers. Even now, my wife's illness is not healed. However, I have learned many things from my wife's illness and my own diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension since mid-February last year. There are many things that I didn't notice when I was healthy that I have learned only after I became ill. Now that I am preaching in front of everyone, I am grateful for being able to speak out. Also, I have come to understand that going up and down stairs (just three or four steps) takes a lot of muscle strength in the back, stomach, and lower back, which I never noticed when I was younger. I began to realize that ordinary things are not ordinary. In this sense, illness may be a blessing from God that makes us humble.


I would like to note that the Lord Jesus replied that He could give no other sign than the sign of the prophet Jonah. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for three days and three nights, so shall the Son of Man be in the earth for three days and three nights. The people of Nineveh will stand in judgment with the people of this age, and they will condemn them. The people of Nineveh will stand in judgment with the people of this age and condemn them, because they have repented through the preaching of Jonah. But behold, there is one here who is better than Jonah. (Matthew 12:40, 41)  Dr.Migaku Sato translates “so shall the Son of the Man be in the earth. as so shall the Son of Man be into the miiddle of the earth. New King James version translates in the heart of the earth. The death of the Lord Jesus on the cross is implied here. We Christians believe that the death of the Lord Jesus on the cross and His resurrection reveal "God's love" and "God's forgiveness" to us. We have recited the Apostles' Creed before this sermon today as well. We also recited the Apostles' Creed before this sermon today, which states, "The Lord Jesus rose from the dead on the third day, and ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. I would like to pay particular attention to "buried in death". We will all die one day. We will be buried. But this creed clearly tells us that we are not alone when we are buried. It contains the promise that the Lord Jesus will be there with us.


It goes on to say, "For the people of Nineveh have repented through the preaching of Jonah. But behold, here is one who is better than Jonah. The Christian is always a repentant person. Repentance" is not the same as "regret". The first of M. Luther's 95 propositions, which started the Protestant Reformation, says, "Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who was born of the Virgin Mary, died for us. When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, "Repent..." (Matthew 4:17), He wanted the whole life of those who believe to be one of repentance. Just believe in God.