2021年5月9日日曜日

【The English Sermon】Lord. I do believe! on April 25th at Tajiri church

 Lord. I do believe!


by the Rev. Sakae Tomokawa on April 25th at Tajiri church


Even though we believe in God, we also encounter sorrow and tribulation. Of course, you will also experience joy and gratitude. Through such valleys and mountains in our lives, our faith in God will be solidified. God sometimes trains His beloved ones through trials like storms. He leads them to true faith. It is surprising how often we are far from God when we have smooth sailing. This is because we put our own desires ahead of God's will. I want to live a life of faith where I am willing to accept God's will, even if I am faced with sorrow and suffering. For the joy of living in God's will is irreplaceable.


 

The Gospel of John 11:17 says, "Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. Lazarus' sisters Mary and Martha must have been overwhelmed with grief. Martha says to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died" (John 11:21). Is this anger at Jesus for being late? I don't think so. I would like to take this as a word that expresses the depth of Martha's grief. No, I think Martha wanted the Lord Jesus to be with her.



 As if to squeeze her voice out of her grief, Martha continues, "I want the Lord Jesus to be with me. But I know that whatever you ask, God will give it to you" (11:22) Martha never lets go of her trust in the Lord Jesus. Isn't this where Martha's greatness lies? Even in the face of death, which would bring everything to nothing, she trusts in God's power to overcome it. It can be said that she trusts in the God who controls life and death. And Martha's faith becomes an opportunity to draw out the amazing words of the Lord Jesus. Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he dies, yet he shall live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall not perish, but have everlasting life. He will never die. Do you believe this? (11:25, verse 26) The mystery of the Christian faith is implied here. (11:25, verse 26) Herein is implied the mystery of the Christian faith: "No, I ask you, do you believe this, each one of you? Martha continues. Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world. The Amplified Bible says, "Yes, Lord, I have believed--I do believe: Yes, Lord, I have believed.” Let us keep following Jesus day by day!